Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Then I woke up

I just got back from watching No Country again. It was one of those times where I decide to go to the Grand 4 minutes before the film starts. Here's a bunch of stuff I loved, and some stuff I picked up on the second time around.

-Tommy Lee Jones' lines are incredible. "Age flattens a man," is probably my favorite.
-I love the way Moss carries his rifle at his hip like a soldier. It's a nice visual cue that tells us he's a veteran.
-"His name's Chigurh." "Sugar?"
-The scene with the mariachi band is hilarious. Just a classic Coen Brothers moment.
-The scene in the gas station is probably still my favorite in the film. It's just so menacing. It starts out just weird and a little funny, then he puts that crumpled up wrapper on the counter and the tension just ratchets up.
-"These fellas look like managerial types"
-When Moss returns the second time his feet are bleeding, he's holding an uzi and dressed in a bloody wife-beater and jeans. Did anyone else think of Die Hard? I mean, it's too similar to be unintentional, right?
-"Are you going to shoot me?" "It depends. Can you see me?"

I'm still floored by the way the ending plays with our expectations. It shifts the focus of the entire film onto a character that seems pretty minor up to that point. It was nice to watch without having to deal with the ways the story is intentionally [I think] confusing. I'm still trying to figure out exactly why Moss returns to the scene of the crime. I'm not 100% sure he knows what he's going to do when he gets there.

This was probably my second most anticipated film of the winter [behind only There Will Be Blood, holy crap that looks good] and it's nice to not be disappointed even after a second viewing.

2 comments:

Travis said...

Well, now I guess I have to go see No Country. Why must all the best movies come out during football season?

There Will Be Blood, opening night...where are we going to see it?

karin said...

yeah, I liked the mariachi band part too, although I think I was the only person in the theater that laughed at it.