Thursday, November 22, 2007

Yeah, I'm that guy

...that actually likes the way No Country for Old Men ends. I can see the problems people are having with it, and it's kind of fun to imagine the ways the film could have ended that would be more satisfying to a mass audience. [I'll get to those once more people have seen it] But I can't imagine a traditional ending that doesn't make the film indistinguishable from your garden-variety thriller. This film deserves more than that. The way it ends ties up the theme of the whole movie beautifully. It's a film about the inevitability of death, always heading for us, unstoppable. But the last scene gives us a vision of hope that even in death we will not be alone. I feel I'm explaining this in a retarded manner, but it's because I don't want to give anything away. See it and maybe you'll understand.

The cinematography is beautiful, and I think the film as a whole does a great job of translating the uniqueness of Cormac McCarthy's writing to the screen. It's also more violent and less funny than I expected, but I think it was because I was expecting more Coen Brothers and less McCarthy. I think a huge sticking point for a lot of people is going to be those last 15 minutes or so. I would guess just from listening to people leaving that 80% of the crowd tonight hated the ending. That's going to be tough to overcome. I just know I'd like to see it again.

No comments: